Have been written on the 23rd of February 2009,
I have started the course that is called English for Academic purposes at Granville TAFE two weeks ago with the purpose of undertaking postgraduate study next semester, and in the meantime I was waiting to get the IELTS test result to find out if I am eligible to start my study at UTS university in the Autumn Semester. Unfortunately, the result was not satisfactory and I have got the overall band score of 6 although I need 6.5, therefore I am going to continue this English course.
In the first two weeks of the course I found it really useful for catching my goals at university. I have got the general information about studying in Australia, which I have never thought about before, for example, the difference between academic cultures and systems in Australia and other countries like Iran where I come from. I think this course is necessary to attend before going to university and I feel comfortable to have this opportunity prior to beginning my higher education in Australia.
Writing is the most important skill in academic study. I learnt that logical, rational, impersonal, precise and qualified are the main characteristics of an academic writing. Academic opinions are known as positions. The distinction between description texts and analytical texts is very important in academic study.
In the reading section I learnt very useful skills to start academic reading. At first we should read without interruption. The techniques of searching, skimming, selecting and studying are very valuable. We can look for specific information by scanning. Moreover, we had a very useful presentation about the use of library, the Internet and online facilities. I found the databases very practical and handy to do the assignments.

hi Mmir~
ReplyDelete